12.1.15

My Birth Story - Cesarean Section Delivery and Recovery; Thomson Medical Hospital.

Assalamualaikum.


OMG. Last i blogged was in June. how long ago was that. been through soooooo much since then. 2014 has been really nice to us, Alhamdulillah. we got our keys to our house in September and we received our bundle of joy in December. Ok. I will drfinately post our journey and process for our renovation but for this post, I would like to write about my birth experience. The only reason I'm doing this is because I would like to sit and read all this someday. Since baby is already out and is one month old today, I gues it's ok to talk about my pregnancy. (Incase of any superstitions and taboos. Not that I believe in any, just that i want to be sensitive about this issue)

So it started out in March when we got to know that we were pregnant. How did I know? My body felt different. I was extra extra tired. I was super hungry every morning which was rare then. And the weird thing was that I had to go to toilet every few hours to urine. So when we checked, we were 2 weeks pregnant. At that time, we were happy but terrified at the same time. We couldn't take care of ourselves let alone another being.

First trimester:

Fast forward; at 9 weeks, I had bleeding. I went on 2 weeks of leave to rest rest at home. First trimester was kinda hard. The nature of my job is very demanding physically and work felt dreadful everyday. However, I did not experience any vomitting or morning sickness. I was just super tired and nauseous all the time.

Second trimester:

By the second trimester, my appetite improved and i was eating like there was no tomorrow. I ate everything. I had no self control. No coffee and spicy food you say? I consumed them like nobodys business. Towards the end of the trimester, it was Hari raya. On the first day, I developed spots on my hands. The next day, I had fever and guess what? I was diagnosed with HFMD. It was horrible. I was so afraid that it might affect my baby. The fever went away in a week but the spots took longer. I stayed home for 2 weeks to recover.

Third trimester:

Moving on to the third trimester, things got  better. I felt stronger but tired as hell. Work felt impossible. My gynae told me that baby was big for my size and that he was unsure about my delivery method. in the mid of my last trimester, I had some sinusitis attacks because of the haze. It was so annoying. And oh, towards the end of my pregnancy, I had gained around 16kg. I started out from 53kg and i weighed 69kg towards the end.

Anyways, at 37 weeks, baby weighed 3.4kg and the size size of his head is 1 week ahead. My gynae was worried that if I waited till 40 weeks, I will not  be able to push him out due to my size. so he concluded that by hook or by crook, baby needs to be out by 38 weeks. so he proposed 2 methods.

1) Induction
 - He said that I might be in labour for minimum 16 hours because I was only 1cm dilated and i was only at
       38weeks.
- On top of that, labour might go on longer than expected and I might have to go for emergency cesarean.

2) Cesarean section
- It is a major surgery.
-Recovery period will suck.
- I will not experience labour and normal vaginal birth.

So wan and myself discussed and we decided to go with option 2. We weighed everything and knew that this was the best for both baby and me. Of course mummies and everyone that went through vaginal births would prefer me to go through option 1 but I wouldn't want to put my baby in danger and people should respect our decision. Anyhoos, we chose a date (12/12/14) and it was set!



Delivery:

We reached the hospital around 11 plus and got our room at 12 plus. We paid for 1 bedder but got 2 bedder as the rooms were occupied. We kept on demanding for our 1 bedder and they promised to give us a room by the end of the day. I really wanted Wan to be with me at night thus the consistent demands for the 1 bedder. I was told to change into their gown and at 2pm, i was wheeled into the waiting room. It was so damn scary. It was big room with curtains separating the beds. i waited for my turn and i remembered feeling very cold and uncomfortable. My back was killing me and I had to go to the toilet. During the wait, about three nurses came in at different times to ask similar questions; my bloodtype, allergies and whatnot.

At around 2.30pm, an anesthetist approached me. She had a pleasant face and she was really nice. By then, I was so nervous, I was freaking out. She attached an IV on my left hand and wheeled me in to the operating theatre. And believe me, whatever you imagine an operating theatre to look like, its true. It was white with splashes of sanitised green cloths everywhere. I heard metal clancking and there were two more nurses. inside. They instructed me to turn to my right side as they administer the epidural. I instantly freaked out.  The anesthetist quickly gave me the oxygen mask. After a few seconds, i couldn't feel my tummy and legs. Oh my goodness, it feel so good. I mean, after nine months of carrying a baby, the numbness feel so relaxing. My gynae came and made small talk but all I think about was the pain. I knew I won't be feeling pain but I was chickening out.


My breathing got faster as my gynae started the procedure. Although i could not feel anything, i still felt tugging and my upper body was moving due to the tugs. The anesthetist gave me an oxygen mask and before I knew it, I heard a baby's cries. I opened my eyes and Wan was there beside me. Baby was out and all was well. Wan then went out with the baby and my gynae went on to finish the procedure. They attached awesome matching musical tags on baby and me so that there won't be any mix ups. Oh ya, we were given the 1 bedder after my operation. La dee dum dee dum.




Post delivery:

A few hours later after the epidural wore off, I felt mild menses cramps(as compared to my monthly cramps).It was uncomfortable but bearable due to the monthly trainings i had. i could only eat the next morning. i went for 36 hours with food and drinks; besides the IV of course. On the second day, I walked to the toilet. So ya, it took me 10 mins to get out of bed. It felt like as if I will never walk again. I kept telling myself that it will be over soon. Since my progress was fine, I was discharged on the 15th and it felt good.

So ya. that was how everything went. I now have a baby boy and I can't believe it came out of my tummy. everything happened so fast! Alhamdulillah.





No comments:

Post a Comment