4.7.18

POSITIVE THINKING IN PREGNANCY


How to be happy during pregnancy? You know how people say that pregnancy is a gift and you will glow? How it's magical and wonderful? Well guess what?

It's filled with smelly hot oil, vomit, nausea, groaning from back pain, grumbling from dropping things but unable to reach it, losing your keys, losing your phone, forgetting to pack lunch for your child, mood swings, tears, constipation, diarrhea, hunger pangs, leg cramps anytime anywhere, Braxton hicks, light headed when you are crossing the street and many many more.

People always say that pregnancy is a gift. No one tells us that its a gamble. Then again, everything in life is.

It's not easy to be positive and stay positive throughout your pregnancy. I for one am not positive for the whole journey. I have my bitch fit moments and I will ensure you that everyone will. However, I will never fail to tell myself to try and be positive towards pregnancy and these are some tips on how I convinced myself.

1) I AM BLESSED

Be grateful. This is the first thought that should appear. Once you are grateful, everything else will fall in place. Sure, pregnancy might not put you in the best of moods but think of all our sisters who have been trying for years to conceive. Think of our sisters who lost their babies. Think of all our sisters who are sick with life threatening cases while juggling the health of their babies. Think of all our sisters who experienced numerous miscarriages. Think of all our sisters who had to terminate their pregnancy due to health issues. (you can read about my experience here)

I am blessed to be able to carry this baby to full term healthily.

2) TAKE IT EASY

Take it one step at a time. Work might be pinning you down but remember that your health matters most. Take time off work if that is what you need. Take a step back and breathe. You might not see it yet but your life is going to change forever. Your heart will swell(in a good way) in ways that you never imagine it could. So, take a breather, go for a walk, take more naps, enjoy the journey.

3) STAY AWAY FROM NEGATIVE ENERGY

This is an important one. Steer yourself clear from any negative things. Be it a TV show, a video, someone from work, your friends, the environment, anything that exudes a negative energy, stay clear. If the things make you feel lower than you should, it's toxic. You shouldn't have to watch or listen to anything that you don't want to.

4) JOURNAL / DIARY

Keep a journal or a diary throughout your journey. Every pregnancy is different. This is my third one and I'm still learning new things every single time. I keep my ultrasound print outs and I take pictures of my tummy every month. It will be nice to look back on and I'm very sure your child would want to see it too in the future. I know Adam does. When I show him pictures of me looking like a whale with him in my tummy, he would ask, "Where's Adam?" Then you can bond over your stories of your journey carrying your precious child. If that doesn't spark your interest, then use those pregnancy pictures  as a drive to get back to your pre pregnancy weight.

5) MEDITATION

This can come in any form. It's about the focus in one's mind for a period of time. I try to practice simple yoga. To be honest, just some stretching and the really easy ones. I meditate by just crossing my legs and pillows propped up behind me(or you can sit on a comfy chair/sofa). I close my eyes and regulate my breathing, one hand on my heart and the other on my belly. The thought of air traveling through my body and to my baby warms my heart. I have someone relying on me and I am doing well to support it. That 10-15 minutes really relaxes me and I look forward to it every single day. You can do whatever works for you.



These are the things that work for for me when I'm having a bad preggo moment. Of course, we are not robots and we are allowed outbursts. In fact, I feel that it is healthy to express once in a while but positive thinking starts with you.  You can't depend one someone to find it for you. Lastly, be happy and enjoy the journey!

Go to the movies, hang out with friends, binge watch your favourite shows because soon, you will have a tiny being to care for and your priorities will change. That will be a whole new journey and post.

Love,
Ja

No comments:

Post a Comment