30.7.18

THINGS TO HELP YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING - PRACTICAL TIPS



I used to hate waking up early in the morning. Living here in Singapore, we kinda have no choice. Even as preschoolers, class starts at 8am. Even so when I was still in my teens, I still can stay up all night and sleep all day on weekends.

However, since I became a mum, there is no such thing. When I was still a working mum, I could still rest if I was unwell or wanted to sleep because I cold easily put my child under my parents' , in-laws or hubby's care but now that I'm a SAHM, I'm kind of expected to do things on my own.

So I had to help myself be happier on mornings. Even gloomy, stay-in-bed kinda mornings. These are things that worked for me.


1) WHY

This is the most important point for me. I had to revisit this point almost all the time. Why. I've heard that why-power is way more powerful and useful than willpower and I sincerely believe that.

Why do I need to wake up early? Why are mornings so important? Before you sleep at night, take time to set goals for the next day. Daily goals always work and it makes you feel more productive and accomplished at the end of each day.

Your goals doesn't have to be in the form of chores but rather things that you want to do or get done. For example, fold laundry, try the new drink from a cafe or even watching the latest episode of your favourite drama. Things that makes you feel happy will help you get up a happier person in the morning.



2) SLEEP

Sleep. Seriously, sleep. Our body needs rest. As we grow older, we tend to overthink and our minds work eventhough our eyes are closed. A method that worked for me was to place my phone away from me. If I can't reach it, I won't use it. That doesn't mean you can't look stalk your favourite instagrammer or play your favourite game. You need to limit your screen time by giving yourself a bed time. Let's say, at 11pm, place your phone aside, beyond reach and just close your eyes. It was kind of hard at first but it gets easier over time and you feel well rested in the morning.



3) DON'T RUSH

I hate morning rush. For the longest time, I had to rush every morning just so I could get that extra 10 minutes of sleep. Prepare things you need the night before. Lay out your clothes, shoes, watch and bag. Minimize planning of things in the morning. It will just exhaust you. If you are into meal prepping for the week, that is even better. You can just grab your prepared food and heat them up.



4) FOOD

Looking forward to breakfast is one of the things that gets me up. Plan ahead, probably the night before, on what kind of breakfast you want. If it's something you like, you would most likely get excited and look forward to breakfast.



5) ELIMINATE COMFORT

Lastly, this is a very practical yet slightly cruel method. When I hear my alarm, I will turn off the fan/aircon (it is really warm and humid in Singapore) and roll up the blinds to brighten the room. After 5 minutes, everyone including yourself will be forced to get up (angrily and feeling irritated) as the room is too warm and bright for sleeping in. Works every single time.



If all else fails, get yourself a baby. You will forget the meaning of sleep. Just kidding. Hope these tips will help you as much as they helped me!


Love,
Ja

No comments:

Post a Comment